The deadline for Missed Connections is just about a month away – hopefully your stories are nearing completion!
But in case you, like me, sometimes wait until the last minute to write a story, I thought I’d send some more inspiration your way.
I saw this article yesterday and it really got the wheels in my mind turning. So many possibilities!
Really, go take a look, I’ll wait.
Back now? Can you imagine the possibilities for Missed Connections from a place that might not even exist? It boggles the mind. There are so many directions to take an idea like that. And I’m giving you this one for free.
So go, my lovelies, and write! I can’t wait to read your amazing stories.
Tall and proud? Completely shaven man? What are these people all about? Clearly, there are stories to be told.
Are you working on your story for Missed Connections yet? They’re due on January 1st, but don’t wait to get started!
Still need more ideas? Check out your local missed connections ads or the ones from any city of your choice. Here are some highlights from where I live;
- I was the youngest person in the Phych Ward; you were the cute Korean guy who happened to be 25. We passed love notes and held hands when the staff weren’t looking.
- You’re tall and wear glasses most of the time. Typically you make iced coffee for me on Mondays and sometimes Tuesdays.
- you were sitting at the bar alone on sunday afternoon. you: yellow cardigan. me:black shirt,black hat. i wanted to chat with you but then you were gone. your smile made my day.
- I was reading Norwegian Wood in the South Park Blocks. You defended Salinger & lamented not getting a Lit degree. I defended Tess & assured you books wouldn’t leave you. I still don’t trust Holden Caulfield.
- I was headed to the ER, saw you on the yellow line MAX platform. We made eye contact and you smiled at me. I tried to smile back, but was in too much pain to say hello. I regret it.
I don’t know about you, but I could read these all day! So many stories just waiting to be told.
Your assignment: Start thinking. Start writing. Submit!
I’m thrilled to announce that I’m editing an anthology for Storm Moon Press. I’ve been working with them for most of the year and have been consistently impressed with how well they treat their authors.
I’ve been kicking around the idea of a Missed Connections anthology for a while now and I’m very excited to be making it a reality.
Please take a look at the details of the call below and feel free to share this information far and wide.
I can’t wait to read your amazing stories!
Submission Deadline: January 1, 2013
Expected Release: May 3, 2013
Word count: 10,000 – 20,000
No matter how happy we eventually become with our lives, we never forget the one who got away. Maybe it was the handsome stranger on the subway who smiled so sweetly but hit his stop before you had the chance to say hello. Or the adorable girl at the coffee shop who caught you reading her favorite book but had to get to class and couldn’t stay to chat. Everyone has a story of that epic love that never was. But what if there could be a happy ending after all?
What happens when you meet that incredible someone you just can’t get out of your mind? Just chalk it up to a lost opportunity? Or do you take a chance and try to track them down? Enter the “Missed Connection” ad. Just a when, a where, and a description of the two people involved, but each one representing a love in potential if only the stars were to align just right.
Show us the stories of the connections that don’t go missed forever. Every story should contain one of the characters leaving a short “Missed Connection” ad in a newspaper or on a website, and the romance that begins when the ad is answered. Stories can be sweet or funny or surprising, but should definitely be hot and steamy. Let’s see how sparks fly when two ships passing in the night finally come together. Twists and turns, heartache and angst, are all fine along the way, but for Missed Connections we’d like your characters to find their HEA or HFN ending.
Read the full SMP sumbission guidelines.